To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Kennett please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

City Hall

When is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm, Monday-Friday, except for select holidays.

Where can I pay city property taxes?

The City of Kennett no longer collects on local property taxes.  All payment for property tax are collected at the Dunklin County Courthouse,. within the city square.

Do I need a permit to have a yard sale?

Yes, each individual wanting to have a yard/garage sale are required to purchase a permit.  Also, only 4 yard sales can be done at any physical address per calendar year.  The permit is $5.00 for up to 2 days.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

Please contact 573-888-4512 or 573-888-4412 more information.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Kennett, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Kennett hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Animal Services

How can I make donations to the Kennett Humane Department?

The Kennett Humane Department has a paypal account that can be accessed by going to www.paypal.com  Once logged in, use e-mail deputyclerk@clgw.net to send money.  If there is a specific animal that you want to donate for, write a message with the donation.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact City Hall at 573-888-9001.

911 Communications

How can I become a 911 Communications Officer?

If you are at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or equivalent, have no criminal record and are willing to work a variety of shifts with rotating days off, you could become a Communications Officer. Please review the Kennett 911 Communications Facebook page for openings.

Who? What? When? Where?

How do I know if my call is an emergency?

Examples of emergencies are: a crime or incident in progress, a suspicious person or vehicle, or when there is a risk of loss of life or property. Non-emergencies include crimes or incidents not in progress, animal calls, directions, questions about special events, and loud music calls. If you are not sure if your concern qualifies as an emergency, go ahead and dial 911. The Communications Officer will refer you to the non-emergency number if appropriate.

How can I help myself in an emergency?

Most importantly, remain calm and work with the 911 Communications Officer. Valuable time can be lost to panic. You may be able to provide important information for the responders or take some important first steps to handle the situation at hand. For the speediest response possible, be prepared to supply the Communications Officer with the following information: type of problem, where you are, where the problem is, phone number you may be called back at, color of the house, closest cross streets, landmarks, how many people are involved, descriptions of any vehicles involved, and descriptions of any suspects and direction of travel. If you are calling from a cellular phone, make note of landmarks, mile markers on the highways, and any other information which could provide your location. When you dial 911 from a cellular phone, it is not answered by Kennett 911 Communications, but rather the Dunklin County 911 Communications. It is vital to be as specific as you can regarding your location especially on a cellular phone. I call about an ongoing problem all of the time and nothing ever gets done.

Does the center just disregard some calls?

The dispatch center does not disregard any calls for service. All legitimate calls are turned over to the agency responsible for service and once this happens, the outcome is out of our control. If you have a concern about how a specific incident was/wasn't handled, you should contact the department that handled the call and speak to a supervisor.

I have an old phone. Can I use this to teach my child about dialing 911?

Even if there is no cell phone service to the phone, as long as it is charged, it can still call 911. Please do not let children play with your old phones, or at least take the battery out before you do.

Does the 911 Communications Officer know my location?

Assume the 911 Communications Officer does not know your location. Some cell phones are able to triangulate the signal and give an approximate location, but you will need to provide the dispatcher with additional location information. Be prepared to give precise directions to your location.

What if I don 't know where I am when I call 9-1-1?

Look for landmarks, large buildings, street signs or paperwork nearby that may contain address information. Think back to the main street or highway you were near when your emergency occurred. If others are around, ask them where you are.

Why do the 911 Communications Officers ask so many questions when I dial 9-1-1?

Calltakers need to gather information for the safety of the officers, firefighters, medical personnel and you. The 911 Communications Officer you are talking to has already sent your call for service to emergency personnel but oftentimes he/she has to keep you on the line to gather more information which is important to the call. Be patient and know that they are getting help to you as soon as possible.

I called 9-1-1 for an ambulance and I got a fire truck and an ambulance. Why did you send me a fire truck too?

Every time someone calls 9-1-1 for a medical situation, our dispatchers send resources according to protocol depending on the seriousness of the medical emergency and the location that you are in. For example, any medical emergency that involves severe difficulty breathing gets a fire truck as well as an ambulance dispatched. All firefighters at Kennett Fire Department are trained first responders. Oftentimes the fire trucks are closer to the scene of a medical emergency and can get there sooner to begin assessing and treating the patient.

Why does it take 9-1-1 so long to answer?

In actuality, we average less than five seconds in answering your 9-1-1 call. Sometimes, if a major incident occurs, many people dial 9-1-1 at the same time and it slows down our ability to answer each call. Your call is important to us and we will answer as quickly as we possibly can.

What happens if my 9-1-1 service goes out?

It's not likely that 9-1-1 service would go out. Should that ever happen, you can reach the center at 573.888.4622. Should your phone service be out completely, it's a good idea to know where your closest fire station or police department is located. You can always go there for assistance.

Do you sound the tornado sirens at 9-1-1?

The weekly Saturday noon test of the tornado siren system is usually sounded from the Kennett 911 Communications Center. This test is completed when the sky is clear and no potential of hazardous weather. What should I do when the tornado sirens sound? First of all, don't dial 9-1-1 to ask questions about the weather or why the sirens are sounding. That only ties up emergency lines for people who may be in need. Only call if you have severe weather to report or another emergency. When the sirens sound is not the time to develop a tornado safety plan for you or your family. Instead, take the time to visit the National Weather Service or other weather provider to learn about severe weather awareness.

Why does it take so long for an Officer to show up at my house when I call?

There are several reasons for this. First, the large number of calls received often outnumber the Officers available to handle these calls. Second, the Communications Staff works on a triage system, using answers to their questions to prioritize calls from highest priorities to lower priorities. For example, a fight in progress or a motor vehicle accident with injuries would be assigned higher priorities than a barking dog or theft not in progress.

Sheryl Crow Aquatic Center

What are the hours of operation?

Hours of Operation:

Monday-Friday: 1-4:30pm

Saturday: 1-5pm

Sunday: 2-5pm 

Family Swim night: Tuesdays: 5:30 to 7:30